"Metropolis, Part 1," featuring Dean Winchester and the archangel Michael

Sharing music with my son is one of the best parts of our relationship... he has a real mind for music, and he appreciates its complexity. I was surprised to learn that, independent of me, he had gotten interested in the progressive metal band Dream Theater, which I had listened to often in college. 

Each song is dense and dreamlike, but this one, "Metropolis Part 1, the Miracle and the Sleeper," is particularly rich. 

So, with my son's interest piqued, I went back for myself and listened after many years... and of course, the parallels to "Supernatural" popped out at me right away. Three different ideas came from the lyrics of this prog metal opera, from different phases of Dean's life. 

The song is featured below. Block out a little bit of time... it's a long one! (Extra credit: Count the different time signatures. Knocking the rhythm senseless is kind of a specialty of theirs... one of their songs has 81 time changes! This one is only half that bad. lolol) 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise

Normal Sucks

Savor