A five-minute story
My beautiful friend and GISH teammate, Caitlin, surprised us at the start of the new year with her Chosen Love Challenges... I've already drawn a great childhood memory -- with crayons! -- and today she asked us to take just five minutes to write a story.
Impossible yet wonderful! That sounded right up my alley! I thought about it for a few hours this morning... and I sat down at 3:20 p.m. to write my story. As promised, all done by 3:25 p.m. Here it is, reproduced, with just a little bit of editing (let's say that took another 5 minutes!).
When he was born, they were both here. I guess that was a gift in itself.
By the time he was 8 months old, they were both gone.
I tried hard to make sure he grew up with every bit of love they'd given me. And more... the sum of all I'd learned as a grown-up. And all they'd learned as grandparents.
I tried. And as he grew, he grew smarter, and sweeter, and he was more than I could have dreamed of.
When he started talking, the things he said seemed so wise... certainly older than his years. And he was kind. The only thing he couldn't abide? Other kids.
Well, that was his grampy all over, wasn't it? Only a fan of his own kids. And theirs.
One day, my little boy asked me: "Remember that time Grammy and Grampy took you to Disney World, and Grampy told you to remember that you parked the car in Goofy?"
I remembered it like it was yesterday.
I'd never told him that story.
"Buddy," I said. "How did you..."
"Grampy told me. He tells me a lot of funny stuff."
I laughed almost as hard as I cried.
— Caitlin 💞 (@_chosenlove_) January 3, 2019
Impossible yet wonderful! That sounded right up my alley! I thought about it for a few hours this morning... and I sat down at 3:20 p.m. to write my story. As promised, all done by 3:25 p.m. Here it is, reproduced, with just a little bit of editing (let's say that took another 5 minutes!).
When he was born, they were both here. I guess that was a gift in itself.
By the time he was 8 months old, they were both gone.
I tried hard to make sure he grew up with every bit of love they'd given me. And more... the sum of all I'd learned as a grown-up. And all they'd learned as grandparents.
I tried. And as he grew, he grew smarter, and sweeter, and he was more than I could have dreamed of.
When he started talking, the things he said seemed so wise... certainly older than his years. And he was kind. The only thing he couldn't abide? Other kids.
Well, that was his grampy all over, wasn't it? Only a fan of his own kids. And theirs.
One day, my little boy asked me: "Remember that time Grammy and Grampy took you to Disney World, and Grampy told you to remember that you parked the car in Goofy?"
I remembered it like it was yesterday.
I'd never told him that story.
"Buddy," I said. "How did you..."
"Grampy told me. He tells me a lot of funny stuff."
I laughed almost as hard as I cried.
Comments
Post a Comment