Thinky Thoughts: Secrets and lies, Season 14 style
So… you came out here to see Donna, to see Mom on some – some what? Some sick, secret farewell tour?
Sam, I know it hurts. But there is no way your brother was going to leave without saying goodbye.
This is Season 14, after all.
Dean needed a place to work, a place to do what needed to be done, without distractions, without hesitation. But there is no way anyone can convince me that he wasn't going to say goodbye to Sam, to Jack, to Cas.
He wanted the box to be a fait accompli, so he would need to brook no argument. He wanted to carry out the plan without debate. He took advantage of the opportunity to seek some measure of comfort from Donna and his mom (see previous post), but he was not going away permanently without telling his family.
And that's part of the difference I wanted to touch on here... This is Season 14. The brothers and Cas have been through so much. They have hurt each other, deceived each other, betrayed each other -- but they have learned a lot, too. They have learned to lean on one another. To share the burdens. To forgive.
But yes, it still hurts, Sam. I get it. They can still hurt each other, but they're so much less resentment now. I love how our boys have grown up. They're both outstanding men.
Saying goodbye still isn't easy. We'll see if they have to.

And, as I noted on Twitter, all hail the motherfluffing genius that is Jared Padalecki in this scene. This might be a Top 10 Sam moment for me.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. When Dean said Sam was the last person he could tell, he also meant he would BE the last person Dean WOULD tell. Just like 9 years ago when Sam needed Dean there with him to get control and find the courage to jump into the pit, Dean would need to see the acceptance of his decision in Sam's eyes to take that final step. And he couldn't leave his Sammy wondering, or try to leave a note like he planned to do when he intended to say yes to Michael the first time. They have come way too far for that, as you say. Also, Dean wouldn't leave Cas or Jack without knowing they had a clear understanding of what he was going to do, and saying goodbye. I'd like him to see Jody, too, but Donna is better than nothing, and an important acknowledgment that Dean has been able to recognize he has wider connections now that have value and importance. Also, Donna has become similar to what Charlie was to Dean. That really was beautiful work by Jared. They are going to tear out our hearts a thousand times and stomp on them a million this season, it's obvious.
DeleteThis entire plotline has been a gift to the acting skills of the cast. They have been allowed opportunities to show their craftsmanship and character building in ways that havent been open to them previously. I'm not discounting any of the fine and evocative work they've done over 14 increasingly imaginative seasons. I see that as foundational to the point they've reached now. There's so much more to the Grand Saga, yet untold, and we get to view it's evolution through the eyes of the actors. I will enjoy the adventure...if it doesn't kill me.❤❤
ReplyDelete