Celebrating #SPN300: Season 1, "Home"

Everyone was trotting out truly epic threads on Twitter to celebrate the 300th episode of Supernatural! I waited too long to get started, but I couldn't let the milestone pass without honoring the achievement somehow. I decided it would be a good idea to mark one moment from each season that had a lasting impact on me.

I thought it would be impossible to choose, but I just went with it, and picked the ones that leapt out at me. It was surprisingly easy.

So, these posts will detail some of my favorite moments from the show that changed my life. I picked one from each season, but this doesn't even begin to cover all the times the show has made me weep, left me breathless, made me stand up and cheer.

Will we ever be able to quantify, to break down and sum up all this show has meant to us?

Thank you, Supernatural. I'm proud of us.

(All screencaps courtesy of Home of the Nutty, and quotes from SuperWiki's collection of transcripts. Thank you to everyone who put together those amazing sites.)

"There’s somethin’ in our old house. I don’t know if it’s the thing that killed Mom or not, but… I don’t know what to do. So, whatever you’re doin’, if you could get here. Please. I need your help, Dad."


If the Supernatural pilot laid the groundwork of the show's mythology, then "Home" was the first stone in the foundation. And, baby, this thing was built to last. 

I loved this episode in part because of the beautiful homage to "Poltergeist," one of the formative movies of my childhood. Then, it hits you with the unrelenting, emotional bombs that are going to be a hallmark of the show for years to come. Sam's visions. Missouri Moseley. John's surprise return. 

And Dean -- for me, it's always Dean -- grappling with the fallout to his psyche as events spin out of his control.  

If I wasn't already hooked -- and honestly, I don't remember exactly when it happened -- this episode absolutely did it for me. It's when I realized that Supernatural was about something... big. 

What are your favorite moments from Season 1? Let us know in the comments below. 


Comments

  1. Although I rank it fifth overall when I look at my favorite episodes of season one, I love the broments in Provenance. On the surface, Dean pushing Sam at Sarah may seem a bit tawdry, but all Dean wants is for Sam to be happy. At that time in the series, it seemed as though Dean was only interested in hook-ups, whereas Sam was looking for something lasting. Although Dean must have known a lasting relationship was not in the cards, maybe he thought this was a good place for Sam to start to rebuild his happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Provenance SO much, and the return of Sarah's character -- while it ended poorly -- was so important for Sam!

      Delete
  2. Argh, this is tough. xD<3

    My mind went to a couple of places, but I'm gonna shine a spotlight on the end of "Salvation." It's painful and angsty (which is Larrs's brand, as you well know), but Dean telling Sam that killing Yellow Eyes is not worth either of them dying. As soon as you said "season 1," my mind went to "The three of us...that's all we have...and it's all I have. Sometimes I feel like I'm barely holding it together man...and without you or Dad..." Just a great glimpse at Dean's motivations, torment, and loneliness. And, of course, it really cements the theme of FAMILY.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise

Normal Sucks

Savor