Celebrating #SPN300: Season 2, "WIAWSNB"

"It's worth it, Dean. It is. It's not fair, and... you know, it hurts like hell, but... it's worth it."


Sammy, I hate to argue with you, man... but he doesn't look like it's worth it.

What is more heartbreaking than the djinn episode of Season 2? I'll be exploring more about what Dean's heart desires in my Thinky Thoughts piece on "Lebanon." But "What Is and What Shall Never Be" gives us that first look at what Dean longs for, and it shattered me.

The one-sided conversation that Dean has at John's grave echoes my Season 1 moment... He's desperately calling out for direction from his father.
"Why is it my job to save these people? Why do I have to be some kind of hero? ... Why do we have to sacrifice everything, Dad?" 
Again, John isn't there to answer. But his father's words are so ingrained in Dean that he comes to the painful conclusion all on his own.

When Dean finally breaks the djinn's spell, and comes crashing back to his reality, the burden he feels crushes all of us. Sam's words don't give him any measure of comfort, and that's the most devastating blow of all.

What are your favorite moments from Season 2? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

  1. Oh, not WIAWSNB. My heart...

    Every time I re-watch season 2, I'm reminded what a fantastic season it is. But, for me, it's really, REALLY hard to beat "All Hell Breaks Loose Part II." And gosh, to pick a single moment--Dean's speech at Sam's beside, Dean's demon deal, killing Azazel, seeing John's ghost--is damn near impossible.

    But ya know what I'm gonna go with? Dean telling Bobby about his deal. That father/son dynamic. Bobby being pissed. Dean standing there, taking all the heat he knows he deserves. Major focus on these few lines (thanks, SuperWiki):

    DEAN ...At least this way, something good could come out of it, you know? I--I--It's like my life could mean something.

    BOBBY What? And it didn't before?! Have you got that low of an opinion of yourself? Are you that screwed in the head?! (He grabs DEAN again)

    DEAN (Choking up) I couldn't let him die, Bobby. I couldn't. He's my brother.

    BOBBY How is your brother gonna feel when he knows your going to hell? How'd you feel when you knew your dad went for you?

    DEAN You can't tell him. You take a shot at me, whatever you got to do, but please don't tell him.

    BOBBY begins to cry, grabbing DEAN'S chin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE. LOVE that scene with Bobby. Just a hint of the depth of the relationship that we see later.

      Delete
  2. I'm always interested in how the boys hunt. How they operate. What their thinking process is. With that in mind, one of my favorite episodes of season two is, "The Usual Suspects."

    Here we have Sam and Dean picked up by the cops at two different times, in two different places, and they don't get the chance to speak with each other at all while in custody. Still, they deliver the same story to the police, right down to the last detail, as the detective put it.

    I'd love to know more about this. Do they discuss this stuff before hand, or are they really just that in tune with one another? Does this come up a lot? Do they work out these details for all their jobs?

    I'm fascinated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise

Normal Sucks

Savor