Celebrating #SPN300: Season 5, "Dark Side of the Moon"
"This is the night you ditched us for Stanford, isn’t it? This is your idea of heaven? Wow. This was one of the worst nights of my life."
Ahh, heaven. Apparently, it's not all it's cracked up to be.
But as the Winchesters get tangled up in the angels' push toward Armageddon in Season 5, it seems like they ought to at least get a look at the place. Luckily, fellow hunters Roy and Walt are more than happy to send them there.
This is a very important episode to me, and I'm convinced that before Supernatural is over, it's one that'll be revisited in detail. Don't be surprised to see Team Free Will, Chuck and Dr. Badass himself team up to give us the heaven we deserve.
Your heaven may vary... Is this the afterlife that Chuck intended? Everyone sealed in their own little jar, as Memorex replays their greatest hits? And how much of this slice of heaven -- Sam's fleeting moments of freedom, Dean's even-more-fleeting moments of purpose and belonging -- is just a product of Zachariah's crass manipulation? These are questions that won't be answered until the matter of heaven is settled -- and I'm certain it will be, to Chuck's satisfaction.
It's one of the richest moments of Season 5 for me... the tantalizing mentions of God -- he's around, but the Apocalypse is just "not his problem" -- set up so much of what's to come with the Winchesters and their thorny relationship with the divine.
I can't wait for the big payoff that the heaven story line has promised.
What are your favorite moments from Season 5? Let us know in the comments below.

This freakin' episode is one of the highest quality eps in the entire series. It is relentless. Dang, now I have to think of another ep to talk about... xD<3
ReplyDeleteBut before that: "Dean's even-more-fleeting moments of purpose and belonging." -Sobs for a thousand years-
I recently finished re-watching season 5 and noted that I find "Two Minutes to Midnight" even better than "Swan Song." -Takes cover-
"Two Minutes..." is also relentless. It's action-packed and the stakes are at their highest. There are plenty of details to mention, but the one I'd like to focus on is the introduction of Death. Richings blows me away every time. He is spot-on. Somehow both terrifying and accessible. His conversation at the pizzeria with Dean (freakin' Ackles and his immeasurable talent...)--I can barely breathe through the scene because I worry I'll miss something.