Celebrating #SPN300: Season 10, "There's No Place Like Home"

Did I get all the way to Season 10 without honoring Charlie Bradbury?

Yikes.

Well, we can rectify that rather quickly and talk about Robbie Thompson's beautiful "There's No Place Like Home," the culmination of the Oz storyline he began in "Slumber Party."

While Dean is fighting the effects of the Mark of Cain, the brothers catch wind that Charlie is back... but she's not whole.

The relationship between Dean and Charlie is so important... Before this episode, she is seen as sort of a healing force for Dean, a cleansing light in his life, a perfect good that he is drawn to. And she is drawn to him, because she sees his glowing core of goodness -- she can see past all his pain.

Seeing her split in two slaps Dean in the face with the battle he's fighting within himself: Become the rabid killer that the Mark demands? Or hold on to his humanity, to the hero that Charlie loves, the big brother who loves her back?

The scene in the bar after Charlie has bamboozled Dean, has killed the man who killed her parents, is beautiful, and so well-acted by Felicia in particular.
"Come on, Dean. I'm not the monster here. He was. He got what he deserved. You know I'm right. You know what I learned about being dark? It sets you free." 

Later, Dean gives himself over to the dark and throttles Charlie's worse half, and in doing so nearly destroys himself. After she is made whole, she offers him a lesson in forgiveness.

What are your favorite moments from Season 10? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

  1. Charliiiiiiiiie. <3


    Season 10 is one of my top seasons. Many moments to celebrate, but I'm gonna go with Dean's defeat of Cain in "The Executioner's Song." There's so much important, pivotal material behind the duel, but, for me, that takes a backseat for something that may seem very tiny. After Dean returns to Sam, Cass, and Crowley, he hands over the First Blade, and then *collapses* in Sam's arms, completely spent and exhausted. It makes me so damn emotional every time. I don't know why it gets me like it does.


    https://goo.gl/images/hyoLPX (Wish I could post a gif in the comments!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise

Normal Sucks

Savor