The Other Guys, Part 2
The Other Guys, Part 2
A Supernatural story by Milisa @440MXS_wife
Soon, the three of you were in your 1968 Chevy Nova, rambling down the highway into town. You recently installed a new stereo with a CD player in your car. You knew that Dean hated it, because it wasn’t in keeping with such a classic car. However, it was your car, and since the driver picks the music, you had a CD player.
Alt!Sam was sitting shotgun, so you asked him to pull out your collection of CDs. “Now, normally, the person riding shotgun doesn’t get to decide what music we listen to. Since you’re the guest, I’ll let you choose,” you said to Alt!Sam.
He unzipped the case and flipped through your choices. “Seems to be a lot of classic rock in here,” Alt!Sam grumbled. “Like someone else I know,” giving his brother in the back seat a sly grin.
“Samuel, face it. She obviously has good taste in music,” Alt!Dean chuckled.
Alt!Sam chuckled as he continued to look through your CDs. Suddenly his eyes lit up and he gasped in surprise. He slid the CD out of its pocket and placed it in the slot. A satisfied smirk played on his lips as he folded his arms across his chest, waiting for the first song to play.
Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want
I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
I wanna really, really, really wanna zigazig ah
You couldn’t stop the smile that broke out over your face as you started to sing along with the lyrics. As the car rolled down the road toward town, even Alt!Dean found at least one song to jam out to on the CD.
At the store, you picked up enough provisions to make spaghetti, fettuccine Alfredo, chili and meat loaf. You also got a bag of apples to make a pie at some point.
Back at the bunker, the boys helped you bring in the groceries. While they put things away, you started boiling water for the pasta. You pulled out your special Alfredo sauce recipe and worked on it while waiting for the water to boil.
Less than an hour later, dinner was served, and the boys were impressed with your culinary skills. While you ate, you shared stories and told jokes. It had been a while since you'd been able to relax like this, to not be consumed with preventing the end of the world. All of it came to an abrupt end when you heard the massive bunker door open and close. Heavy boots clomping down the stairs signaled the return of the Winchesters from your world, along with Castiel and Jack.
Dean was the first to enter the dining room and witness your makeshift dinner party. “What the hell is all of this? I asked you to keep a low profile, not throw a party,” he grumbled.
You stood up from your chair. “This is not a party, Dean. This is dinner. Somehow, over the weekend, you, Sam and Jack managed to nearly empty the pantry and the fridge,” you started. “We went into town, got some supplies and I made dinner. Simple as that.”
“Do you know how dangerous that was, for them to leave the bunker?” Dean thundered. “This place is warded for a reason, to provide protection! Their world was already destroyed, and they barely got out with their lives. What, did you want Chuck to find them and finish the job?”
You turned to Alt!Sam and Alt!Dean. “Gentlemen, it’s been an honor to get to know you. I enjoyed the time we spent together, and I know I’ll never forget you. I hope that you find happiness wherever you may go,” you remarked softly. You gave each of them a peck on the cheek and turned to leave.
“Hold on there, I’m not finished talking with you,” Dean said as he grabbed your arm.
You looked Dean straight in his eyes. “You may not be done talking with me, but for the foreseeable future, I’m done talking with you. Let go of my arm,” you glared.
Something in your tone must have broken through, because Dean released your arm. You stalked off to your room, and everyone jumped at the sound of your slamming door.
Sam and Dean walked their counterparts to the spiral staircase and handed them a set of keys. Dean told them which car the keys went with and bid them farewell.
As they headed up the stairs, Alt!Dean stopped and turned back to his counterpart.
“I know you and I don’t have much in common,” he said to the scruffier hunter. “We’re pretty much opposites of each other. But she was so much like my wife in every way. At first, it was difficult being around her, knowing it wasn't really my wife. Spending time with her, though, made me miss my wife just a little bit less. I lost her in a hunting accident, and there’s nothing I wouldn't give to spend even one more second with her.
“Your girl is right here, right now. Don’t lose her on purpose by taking her for granted,” Alt!Dean finished before he followed his brother up the stairs.
*********
Dean poured himself a glass of whiskey and propped his feet up on the table in the library. He thought about what Alt!Dean said, about you helping him a bit to get over the loss of his wife. You’d only just met them. Yet, you helped him to get through a little of the unimaginable pain of losing a partner. Even Alt!Sam seemed to have loosened up a bit since Dean had first met him, although he hadn’t gotten rid of the man-bun.
Dean thought back to when Jody asked you to visit for the weekend. At first, you told him and Sam that you weren’t going to go. You had wanted to stay behind and do research instead of taking time for something fun. You were going to put the job ahead of yourself, like Dean had seen you do so many times. How often had you sacrificed your own needs or happiness for that of others? Dean wondered.
Then there were the other, more subtle ways you showed how much you cared for your boys. Buying someone his favorite cereal, or making a pie out of the blue. Having coffee ready the moment one of them entered the kitchen. Hanging a warm towel fresh from the dryer right outside the shower. Cooking their favorite meals on their birthdays. The list went on and on.
It had been a long day, so Dean decided to call it a night. He hoped you would be in his dreams, since you were starting to occupy his thoughts during the daylight.
*********
The next morning, Sam came back from his morning run to find Cas and Jack in the kitchen, along with a fresh-brewed pot of coffee. A towering pile of bacon sat waiting on a platter, and a steaming stack of pancakes sat ready to be eaten.
Dean wandered in nearly half-asleep, wearing his gray robe. As soon as he saw the feast gracing the kitchen counter, he snapped to full consciousness. Coffee, pancakes and bacon. Dean knew you had made breakfast and asked Sam if he’d seen you that morning.
As if on cue, you walked into the kitchen. Without a word or glance to anyone, you reached into the cupboard for your cup. You poured some coffee and fixed it the way you liked it. When you looked up, four pairs of eyes were on you. No one knew quite what to expect, given yesterday’s events. You gave everyone a quick smile and walked back to your room.
No one saw Dean slip out of the kitchen and walk toward your room. He hesitated before knocking, and put his ear to the door. When he didn’t hear anything, he knocked gently and waited for your response.
“Who is it?” you asked.
Dean cleared his throat. “Um, it’s me, Dean,” he answered.
“Go away, Dean. I already told you, I won’t be speaking to you for the foreseeable future,” you retorted.
“I know, but will you please just listen? I promise that I won’t yell at you,” he implored.
A minute passed, but it seemed like an eternity to Dean before he heard the door being unlocked. You opened it a crack then stepped out of the way so Dean could enter. You went back to sitting on your bed, with your back resting against your headboard. “So, talk,” you said, looking down at your hands in your lap.
“Mind if I sit here?” He pointed to the end of your bed. You gestured with your hand to give permission, so he sat on the edge. “I wanted to thank you for making breakfast for all of us. When did you do that?” Dean asked.
“Early. I couldn't sleep, so I came out to make breakfast,” you explained.
“Why couldn’t you sleep?” he asked.
“If you must know, I was upset. It hasn’t been exactly too friendly around here lately between you and me. First, it’s like you’re saying that me taking a break left you and Sam to do all the work concerning the Chuck situation. Next, you get upset that I entertained your guests by taking them into town to get food. And sometimes I think -- never mind,” you broke off.
Dean knew what you were going to say next, but he wanted to hear it from you anyway. “What? What were you going to say?” he asked.
“Never mind, Dean. Just drop it,” you warned.
“Hey, you started it. You can’t just not tell me now after you say something like that,” he replied.
You lifted up your head and stared straight into those emerald eyes of his. “Fine. But be careful what you wish for. You see me as just a friend, if you see me at all,” you started. “Let me tell you what I see of you. I see a man who fights tooth and nail for what he believes in. A man who is fiercely loyal to those he loves and would die to protect them. A man who is afraid to get close to a woman because he thinks it’s too dangerous. I see a man who is intelligent, kind and sexy as hell. And I love him,” you declared softly.
“Wow,” was all he said.
“Yeah,” you gave a short laugh. “Bet you’re real glad you asked, huh? Well, now that you know, you’re free to leave if you want to,” you replied. You got up and walked over to your dresser to put away your recently laundered clothes. You heard Dean get up as well, and waited to hear the sound of the door closing behind him before you completely broke down.
But the sound never came. Instead, you felt two strong arms wrap around you from behind and give you a gentle squeeze. Dean rested his chin on your shoulder, his breath hot against your ear. You closed your eyes and melted into his embrace, enjoying the moment because you had no idea how long it would last.
“Now what kind of man would I be if I left after hearing such a heartfelt confession of love, hmm?” he asked. “Especially before I’ve had a chance to tell my side of the story.”
Then Dean turned you around in his arms so he could gaze into the honey-and-green of your eyes. “I’ll tell you what I see of you. I see a woman who often sacrifices her own needs or happiness for that of others. A woman who has been knocked down so much by life, but she gets back up every time and keeps fighting. A woman that makes an indelible mark on every life she touches, leaving behind a small piece of herself in that person’s heart. I see a woman who is strong, caring, smart and beautiful, both in body and in her soul. And I love her,” he finished.
Dean’s left hand came up and he brushed your face with the back of his fingers. He slowly closed the gap between you as he pressed his lips to yours in a tender kiss. He pulled back a little to gaze into your hazel eyes before diving back in for another, deeper kiss.
When you finally broke apart, you both were trying to catch your breath with your foreheads touching. You grinned at each other, holding hands with interlaced fingers. “By the way, I like what you did to your hair,” Dean remarked.
“I’m glad you like it,” you replied.
Comments
Post a Comment