Celebrating #SPN300: Season 11, "Don't Call Me Shurley"
My most #UnpopularOpinion?
Take away the introduction of the British Men of Letters, and Season 11 would have been an excellent way for Supernatural to end.
IKR? People don't like to talk about Supernatural ending.
But the Chuck and Amara storyline is so satisfying to me, and it brings the show absolutely full circle.
Those who know me well have heard me wax philosophical about that... how the loss of Mary robbed John and the boys of the divine influence of the feminine, the maternal, and threw their lives irreparably out of balance.
Years later comes the revelation that all of creation has been suffering under this split from the beginning... that the universe has a yin and a yang, a masculine and a feminine. Amara, the Darkness, is the Big Bad through the season, but really she's just an angry woman who has been silenced, who is screaming to be heard.
I mean... we can relate, right?
So the show-long theme of two halves being made whole comes to a brilliant end as light and darkness intertwine...
And Mary is returned.
Ahhh. Satisfying. I would have taken that.
But, that's not the end of the story, and I of course will never say no to more Show.
With all I've said above, my absolutely favorite moment of the season comes in the Robbie Thompson masterpiece "Don't Call Me Shurley," when Metatron -- someone else I love, unpopularly -- speaks for all of creation when he demands answers from God.
He doesn't just want answers. He flat-out calls his father a coward. Tells him that he's wrong.
Brave. Powerful. The scribe, humbled, with nothing left to lose, holds up a mirror to Chuck and demands that he take a good, hard look. (It touched me so much, I even wrote a poem about it.)
What are your favorite moments from Season 11? Let us know in the comments below.
Take away the introduction of the British Men of Letters, and Season 11 would have been an excellent way for Supernatural to end.
IKR? People don't like to talk about Supernatural ending.
But the Chuck and Amara storyline is so satisfying to me, and it brings the show absolutely full circle.
Those who know me well have heard me wax philosophical about that... how the loss of Mary robbed John and the boys of the divine influence of the feminine, the maternal, and threw their lives irreparably out of balance.
Years later comes the revelation that all of creation has been suffering under this split from the beginning... that the universe has a yin and a yang, a masculine and a feminine. Amara, the Darkness, is the Big Bad through the season, but really she's just an angry woman who has been silenced, who is screaming to be heard.
I mean... we can relate, right?
So the show-long theme of two halves being made whole comes to a brilliant end as light and darkness intertwine...
And Mary is returned.
Ahhh. Satisfying. I would have taken that.
But, that's not the end of the story, and I of course will never say no to more Show.
With all I've said above, my absolutely favorite moment of the season comes in the Robbie Thompson masterpiece "Don't Call Me Shurley," when Metatron -- someone else I love, unpopularly -- speaks for all of creation when he demands answers from God.
He doesn't just want answers. He flat-out calls his father a coward. Tells him that he's wrong.
“I know I'm a disappointment, but you're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Yeah, sure, they're weak and they cheat and steal and... destroy and disappoint. But they also give and create and they sing and dance and love. And above all, they never give up! But, you do!”
Brave. Powerful. The scribe, humbled, with nothing left to lose, holds up a mirror to Chuck and demands that he take a good, hard look. (It touched me so much, I even wrote a poem about it.)
What are your favorite moments from Season 11? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments
Post a Comment